Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why the blog...

I decided to create this blog to share MY journey as I try to lose weight. These are my own raw and honest feelings why I and so many other people are overweight. I have also included the excuses(one's we tell ourselves and one's we tell society), the myths, and has WORKED for me. *My disclaimer*-these are my opinions and beliefs...always check with a DR before starting a diet.

We are what we eat
...
How many times has that statement been said? Did it make you stop and think? Probably not b/c we let so many excuses stand in our way of being happy and healthy. I think we need to stop and think about we are eating. I am overweight b/c I put high fat,high carb(simple carbs), red meat, high sugar garbage in my body. I nor any other overweight person is fat b/c they ate whole grains, complex carbs, vegetables, fruits, and lean protein. I have also heard it's the food producers fault...after all they put high fructose corn syrup in everything. YES they do put corn(HFCS) in EVERYTHING but YOU ultimately decide what you put in your body. They also put large amounts of salt and fats in most things we eat..especially when it comes to processed foods. Losing weight requires that we turn the package over and read the nutritional information.

Emotional eating...
Some of us are what's eating us..maybe more so than what we are eating. Emotional eating plagues most overweight people. I think most of us have at some point realized why EXACTLY we are overweight. We know what moment changed everything for us. There's a reason why I choose to be overweight(and yes I said "I choose"). There's a reason why I eat to the point I feel sick. There's a reason why I let the excuses get in the way of TRULY being happy. Most overweight people say "I am happy"..."I love myself"..."it's society's fault because they view thin as being beautiful". I wasn't happy and after losing 40 pounds(I need to lose 110lbs total)I am still not where I want to be.

But I am happy...
Being unhealthy, having trouble walking up a single flight of stairs, having to sit down constantly is not happiness. Finding comfort and acceptance in food, is not happiness. Happiness is not having blood pressure that is so high you need to be on medication(s). Happiness is not being on insulin or pills to lower your blood sugar b/c you have type 2 Diabetes. Happiness isn't worrying whether or not you can fit on an amusement ride or an airplane seat. Happiness isn't being upset b/c your so overweight you cannot find a dress to wear for the office Christmas party(or any other time you have to buy clothes.UGH!!). As a society we have just accepted when overweight people say they are happy. We say things like "that if society would just accept us as we are we would be happy"..."that curves are beautiful". We have convinced people that we are happy and feel good about ourselves. Sorry there is a difference between curves and rolls. I'm not saying this to hurt people's feelings(I also have rolls) but b/c we need to stop accepting that being overweight is okay. Heart disease is the #1 KILLER of women not cancer!! Something that we can prevent!!! A person that is overweight is putting a HUGE strain on their heart and other organs. Yes at 18 or 25 years old you may not have symptoms of heart disease but unless you loss weight you will. A large percentage of people don't know they have heart disease till after they have dropped dead from a heart attack. Sorry but that moment is just a little too late for me. I don't wanna realize that I should have changed what I ate
the moment I am passing from this life into Heaven. YES I said change what I ate..cause the only diet that works is eating healthy and EXERCISING....even if you have gastric bypass,banding,stomach stapling,or the sleeve you will have to watch what you eat and exercise. There is no way around it. You will have to eat healthy and exercise.

I have trouble staying motivated...
I personally feel like finding out what will truly make you happy will help keep you motivated b/c losing weight is hard...it is very hard. My number one motivator is my health. I have 3 children. One of them has a metabolic disorder. I have been the one that has taken her to the hospital every time(except once when I was in the hospital myself and my dad had to take her). I know ALL her medical history and what she needs in an emergency. I have protect her from anything happening to her. So I need to be in the best condition I can be in. You need to find what motivates you and be reminded of that daily.
You will need a support system. This is huge. You need to be encouraged but you also need someone to answer to. You NEED someone who will kick your butt till you get back on the bandwagon. The scale is your friend...I know you don't wanna hear that. We don't want the honest of what we have actually became. But a scale will help keep you honest. If you don't have a scale,a tape measure will also keep you honest.

Wake up America...
America is one of the fattest countries! I wish America would wake up and realize how unhealthy we are and also our children. We have accepted that it is okay to be overweight b/c no one wants to be responsible for what they eat. It is sad to see kids that are so overweight. I don't think they have bad parents...just parents who have confused food with happiness. Parent's need to STOP feeding their kids convenience foods(fast food,microwave foods,frozen chicken nuggets,frozen pizzas,french fries..I think you get the point). These foods are KILLING our kids. We also need to stand up and tell schools that they need to STOP feeding our kids these foods also. Public school lunches are horrible for kids. Parent's need to stand up and say no more!!! It is cheaper for my child to eat at school but the food is horrible for her. This needs to be changed!!

The purpose of food...
Food is meant to fuel your body. The sole purpose of food is to give your body the energy it needs to do the things you require of it. I personally think if I can disassociate my emotional connection to food, and view it as a catalyst to get what I need from it I will be that much better off.

4 comments:

  1. Candise I'm going to follow you as you do this. I have been really struggling with this myself lately. Pretty much everything you said and it has been getting me down. I want to lose it the healthy way without surgery but I have no motivation to get started. I felt great years ago when I was going to the gym with you several times a week and was slowly loosing the weight. Good Luck and I will be following along with you.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey. I had a gastric bypass about 5 years ago I have put on about 30lbs after the two kids, that's my excuse. I'm an emotional eater and if I am not careful I will put back on the 100+ pounds I lost.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Tiff I wish we lived closer. I would definitely be dragging you with me.lol You can do it. Just find what motivates you. I wanna go buy a size 7 pair of jeans and hang it on my fridge so every time I see them I will stop and think about what I truly want. I am on an appetite suppressant so that helps with my energy and not feeling hungry all the time. It helped in the beginning especially. I don't feel like I need it as much anymore b/c I am use to eating around 1500 calories(although I really don't count calories anymore)versus the 3000 I was probably eating.
    Amber-I know the stress of our lifestyle helped me to gain 30lbs after I had the twins. I actually weighed less after I had them than before I got pregnant. I had Gestational Diabetes during my pregnancies so that is when I ate the healthiest. I wish now I would have just worked on losing weight then. I would have been so much closer to my goal weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sooo applaud you for doing this blog. I think a lot of the topics you hit apply to everyone. Not just the overweight people. Heart disease wont just target overweight. Even at a healthy weight you need to watch what you eat. And no matter how active or what weight a child is at they should still learn to eat and pick the healthier choices. Without learning at an early age its a lot harder to eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete